Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year


I have never liked New Year's Eve except the one depicted in the photo above with my beloved Arch a few weeks after our wedding in 1975. And after 10 days in Hawaii on our Honeymoon and then to Calary to spend time with his childen. We celebrated it at the Rooftop in the landmark Vancouver Hotel. A nine course meal, free liquor, a Live Orchestra and a suite for what seemed an exhorbitant price at the time for $175 but seems like a bargain tonight. We invited my sister and her husband to join us. It was a fantastic evening.

Afterwards many were spent in our home with either family or friends. I would always made Julia Child's recipe for French Onion Soup and Caesar Salad. That seemed to hit the spot after midnight and a copious amount of drinks.

I had anticipated to spend it in silence tonight but unexpectedly I received a phone call from an old boyfriend Riekele from the 60's who lives in Holland. He came to Canada to study. I was madly in love with him in my early 20's. It's a long story for another time. He rejected me and I was heartbroken at the time. Today I am glad he did because it allowed me to meet the love of my life. I was having a nice chat with my son Ryan in Japan via IM when his call came in. Rick and I chatted for over an hour. So instead of being alone, I feel as though I have had company. Quite delightful.

~ Tutte ~